January 23, 2008

Friendship


Friendship is rare on earth. It means identity in thought and heart and spirit. ~Oswald Chambers


My friend left today. Moving to a beautiful country, on a grand adventure. I'm happy and excited for her. And I'm sad. I'm missing her. Things will be different. We'll communicate differently. What will it be like?

Is this some of what the disciples felt? Jesus said, "I have called you friends." Then He said, "It is expedient for you that I go away." Happy and sad. Missing Him. Things would be different. How would they communicate? What would it be like?

I believe what C. S. Lewis wrote in The Four Loves, "for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking, no chances. A secret Master of the Ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “You have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.” . . . At this feast it is He who has spread the board and it is He who has chosen the guests.

Friendship which can end was never true friendship.* Our Friendship is a true friendship. It has been tested by fire and our hearts are melted together. I don't know the way things are going to work out, but I know that they will and that "it will be fine."

*St. Jerome