February 24, 2009

A reason to blog

I’ve been giving the topic of blogging a lot of thought lately. Over the years I have gained so much from reading other people’s blogs. But I’m not really sure what I’ve gained, or more especially, contributed by my own blogging. As I was thinking about this today, I “happened” upon (through Tim Challie’s A La Carte) David Porter’s A Boomer in the Pew blog. As I was reading through some of his recent posts and generally looking around, I noticed a button on his nagivation bar entitled “Mission Statement.” It was one of those “aha” moments.

David writes:
It is a interesting fact that millions of people start a blog each year. Another interesting fact, is that millions of people give up on blogging each year as well.

Just as in starting a business, building a successful marriage, or any other enterprise one might endeavor, at the root you must ask, and answer, an all important question: Why?


Here, the question is: why am I blogging?

Here, therefore, is this blog's mission statement:” (You can read the rest here.)

As I was reading through his Statement, I noted that much of what he wrote were reasons I had started blogging in the first place and had lost sight of, (no doubt in large part due to the fact that I didn’t have a mission statement) leading to my recent questioning of why I’m blogging.

So how cool is that? Because David decides to give away a beautiful calfskin ESV Study Bible, Tim writes about it, and I (who would really dearly love to have one) go to David’s site and find direction.