September 13, 2009

Joy - getting practical

Do you ever have a “duh” moment? When you think, “Wow . . . yeah . . . of course . . . I can’t believe I didn’t see that before . . . it was right there in front of me!”? Well that happened to me this week.

Thanks to Linda, I’ve found Holley’s Joy Challenge. On Thursday, Holley wrote, “I've learned when the practical part of my life gets out of line it makes it so much harder to keep a strong relationship with God and live in joy.”

As I read her list of practical things like eating well, rest, exercise, etc., I had the “duh” moment. I realized that even though I have purposefully been looking for and seeing the sacred in the “ordinary” for some time, until I read and reread her post I had not really been making the connection between the “practical,” as she put it, and the sacred.

It really made me stop and think when she then asked, “What’s your favorite practical tip or trick for keeping your joy?”

As I reread her essentials list, I saw how important those things are and how they do effect my spiritual life. So, in addition to the things that Holley listed, some of my favorite practical tips or tricks for keeping my joy are:
~keeping things simple
~keeping first things first
~routine
~a peaceful, restful home
~stopping to really listen and engage when someone is talking to me
~keeping in touch with extended family
~getting outside
~opening the windows, letting fresh air in
~reading
~listening to hymns and worship music
~a clean home
~walking

I’m so grateful for Linda and Holley and for this new way of looking at and seeing the spiritual side of the practical.

Consider joining the Gratitude Community!