March 28, 2008

Life lessons

Peter and I were watching a program on drawing. It was a wonderfully instructive program in many ways. As the artist was showing us how to "see" what we want to draw, and then what we have drawn, he kept saying,
"now stop . . .
look . . .
ask yourself, what do I see . . .
do I need to make any adjustments?"

Another lesson ~ if you use a very light touch, the lines are then light, so that if a correction needs to be made it is easily done.

As I was pondering these "lessons" and how they apply to life as a whole, I read this in an article by Rabbi Wein:

The rabbis taught us in the Talmud “Attempting too grab too much too soon means that one will eventually grab nothing.” Grabbing less, wisely, with patience and a long view of things always is a better policy. Haste and impatience, overreaching and unrealistic assessments of the situation, always lead to, at the very least, painful backaches. (emphasis mine)
For Rabbi Wein's whole article click here.