August 7, 2009

What he said

“My ideas flow so rapidly that I have not time to express them -- by which means my letters sometimes convey no ideas at all to my correspondents.”*

This is so me. When I read it the other day, I thought, yes!, that’s me, and I just knew that I had to put it on the blog. Sometimes I worry that I’m the only one that understands some of the things I’ve written. I know what I meant, but does anyone else? Or I wonder whether what I’ve written is polished enough, or I worry about the grammar. A lot of times, I just don’t even post what I’ve written. And that’s something I’ve really been thinking about.

I have to confess that blogging stresses me. Not the quick “just a thought” type posts, but the ones with lots of writing and/or about “deep” things. I tend to type or write quickly as I hurry to get my thoughts down, more focused on getting the thoughts/ideas recorded while they’re still fresh in my mind or heart than about grammar or the way something sounds to someone else. Then I feel like I need to edit and edit some more to make sure that what I’m saying is just what I meant to say and that it will be understood the way I meant it. (know what I mean?) (smile)

So, what to do? Relax and just write, stop blogging (again), keep stressing and editing? Stick to the short, pithy posts? Not sure, but an idea that I have been mulling over is to think of this blog as more of a chat with friends over a cup of coffee (or tea), sometimes mundane, sometimes deep, sometimes a mixture. Relaxed, no airs, just sharing what’s on my mind with my very tolerant, understanding, forgiving friends. ;-)

*Mr. Bingley - Pride and Prejudice